Recovery homes make a difference in the lives of displaced
veterans. These “group homes” or “recovery homes” create an atmosphere that is
conducive to helping veterans who are suffering from substance abuse issues receive
appropriate therapy and in turn can remain abstinent longer. Recovery homes are
a great place to assist these veterans into reintegrating back into mainstream
society by becoming independent. Statistics show that abstinent rates are
greater in these settings than returning combat veterans trying to “go it alone”.
Support is crucial for these veterans and therefore the financial and spiritual
support that anyone can offer to any of these facilities are truly appreciated.
These group homes are often started up by recovered veterans who wish to make a
difference and offer the best assistance because they know what these veterans
are going through from first hand experiences. I’ve seen the good that Three
Hots and a Cot has done, and is still doing for displaced veterans and I look forward
to contributing in any way I can in the future. I encourage anyone else who wishes to support the men and women of the armed forces by remembering these various organizations.
Reference:
Millar, J. R., Aase, D. M., Jason, L. A., & Ferrari, J.
R. (2011). Veterans Residing in Self-Governed Recovery Homes for Substance
Abuse: Sociodemographic and Psychiatric Characteristics. Psychiatric
Rehabilitation Journal, 35(2), 141-144.
No comments:
Post a Comment