Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Service Learning Summary


Service Learning Summary

I did not know what to anticipate at the beginning of the semester when I started working with displaced veterans at Three Hots and a Cot. I was unsure as to how to introduce myself with the goal of developing a trust with the residents so that I might learn more about how they came to be in their situation. Fortunately, my Honors in Nursing  instructor gave me tools and advice as to breaking the ice with the residents and developing therapeutic communication skills. I can honestly say that I was nervous in the beginning, mostly because I did not want to seem intrusive or give the residents an opinion that their personal experiences were solely an academic concern that was painted in a cold light.

As time went on, I realized that I was making progress in getting to know the veterans by simply showing up and talking with them about their everyday activities and interests. I gave classes on various topics ranging from nutrition to STI’s and they often demonstrated their willingness to participate by asking questions and giving examples of their own personal life’s experiences. This interaction eventually led to a trust that began developing and allowed some of the residents to share how and what they thought placed them in the situation they were in. This process of letting the residents share and review their personal actions that allowed substance abuse to control their lives seemed to open their eyes to a negative pattern of behavior. My hopes were and are that once some of these residents identified their priorities that through education and support they could move on to happy productive self-sustaining lives.

Now  that my Service Learning Project is coming to an end, I feel as though I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience as  well as self confidence from  working with these men and women.  I learned that PTSD is not always combat related and many of these displaced veterans “felt lost” after being discharged from the military. There are various factors that play a role in the “not so perfect storm” of displaced veterans and their substance abuse issues. Being exposed to abuse of every level and type is a contributing factor in some cases. Lack of social support and infrastructure is another, but there is hope. Time, patience, education, and most importantly a desire to improve their lives are the greatest positive factors contributing to their success. I am thankful for the opportunity to have gotten to know this organization and to witness the true service that Three Hots and a Cot provides to homeless veterans. I look forward to working with them in the future as they continue the mission of providing a warm, safe, and healthy environment for those that served this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment